What is it?

Dibutyltin dichloride is a tin compound that has the chemical formula C8H18Cl2Sn.

What are the effects?

This substance belongs to the groups:

The European Chemicals Agency (ECHA) identifies that dibutyltin dichloride is “fatal if inhaled, is toxic if swallowed, causes severe skin burns and eye damage, may damage fertility and may damage the unborn child, causes damage to organs through prolonged or repeated exposure, is very toxic to aquatic life with long lasting effects, is harmful in contact with skin and is suspected of causing genetic defects, may cause an allergic skin reaction.”

ChemSec’s SIN List, a database of chemicals likely to be banned or restricted in a near future, writes that “Dibutyl tin (DBT) compounds are potential endocrine disruptors, showing also immunotoxic as well as reprotoxic effects and is highly toxic to aquatic species. It is very bio-accumulative and possibly persistent. Dibutyl tin has been widely found in the environment as well as in humans; Current assessment: Classified CMR*.”

Dibutyltin dichloride is on ECHA Candidate List of “Substances of very High Concern.”

*CMR substance; classified as carcinogenic, mutagenic or toxic for reproduction (CRM)

How is it used?

Dibutyltin dichloride is found in everything from toys, and food packaging, to sanitary napkins.

Did you find this substance in a product?


Share with a link to the product!

Read about the other ingredients.